About Me

My photo
22. Wanderlust Enthusiast. General Rambler.

Friday 26 June 2015

Hayley in Wanderlust: Lima & Mancora

 
 
Lima is a 22 hour bus journey from Cuzco, which sounds hideous, I know. But what if I told you it was actually one of the most comfortable 22 hours I'd had on this trip so far? I'd be lying, right?
Wrong.

 Cruz Del Sur are now and forever my favourite transportation company. A bus company that operate through Peru and parts of Ecuador and Columbia, it's first class travel for a fraction of the price. I got asked which meal option I would like, meat, chicken or vegetarian? They couldn't even get the right on my flight from London to Rio! I also had my own personal TV screen, seat that folded all the way back and effectively turned into a bed, blanket and pillow. It was bliss, and it cost me just over £40.
(It was also on this bus journey that I realised I could watch entire films in Spanish without subtitles in English and understand everything... but, that's just me bragging now).

As cities go, I really liked Lima. It's not somewhere I had heard much about in the way that I had, say, Buenos Aires or La Paz, but it certainly exceeded expectations. I was still travelling with an Australian guy I'd originally met in San Pedro, and we stayed at 'Pariwana Hostel' in the Mirafolres neighbourhood. It was lovely. The hostel was big, clean and cheap enough on the food and drink front. They also offered a range of day activities, including a tour of Downtown Lima, which we took up. It turned out to be less of a tour of that actual part of the city (although we did walk through the large Plaza de Armas) and more a tour of an old Franciscan Monastery. It was beautiful, and took my back to being at school, you know, because of the whole 'Roman Catholic' thing? Although, these days I'm more impressed at the fact that I can walk into religious establishments without instantly bursting into flames.
The strangest, and cutest, thing about Lima though is Parque Kennedy. A park in the middle of Miraflores that is full of stray cats. I don't mean stray cats in a maingy, gross kind of way either. I mean it is literally a park fill of fluffy, cuddly cats who are out to scam you for your last chip. There was so many of them, and it made a nice change to the amount of street dogs I've seen across the continents various cities. Bizarre and adorable.

Sadly, it was in Lima that I had to say goodbye to James who was returning to Sydney. Without a doubt, the worst part of travelling and living in this little nomadic bubble is creating bonds with amazing people who live miles and miles away and having to say goodbye. It keeps you on your toes, and just ends up making you want to travel more so you get to see everyone again.

Then it was another fab journey with Cruz Del Sur up to Mancora, a beach town in north Peru. No words to express the happiness I felt at feeling the sun in my face once more. Lima had been both warm and by the beach, but was horribly overcast.

I had been told, by many, many people, that THE place to stay was the Loki del Mar. I had been told it was the craziest of all the crazy hostels and that I should prepare myself for full blown debauchery. In my head, it was like something out of 'Sun, Sex and Suspicious Parents' and my mother was going to pop out of the swimming pool catching me downing 3 litres of rum... It wasn't anything like that. Instead I found a good hostel, with a fab sized swimming pool and decent menu, that had a great vibe and offered alcoholic slushies. It had a little pathway straight on to the beach, where there were planet of opportunities to take part in water sports and surf lessons. Mascara was also fab for shopping, and I spent money out of my now dwindling budget on clothes I wont really be able to wear in a British climate (crochet crop top, anyone?)

It was also here that I met the next group of poor unfortunate souls who'd be stuck with me until way  into Ecuador.

I love the beach.

- xo

No comments:

Post a Comment